Saturday, January 31, 2004

"My libido runneth over"

Tonight I was entertained by... alcohol, smoking, two women kissing eachother, a Playboy, and LOTS more alcohol. That's right folks, I went to the opera.

Our 'Diction for Singers' class went to Ball State to watch "Die Fleidermaus". They sang in German and spoke in English. It was quite entertaining I shall admit. They kept the style but added a lot of random modern stuff to keep it entertaining... like the drunk cop walking out on stage out of character in the middle of the second act to do a drawing and hand out "a basket of crap" (150$ of gift certificates and, you guessed it: more alcohol). It was pretty racy. (The title/quote was a line). It didn't help that there was this mezzo-soprano who played the male prince (it's called a 'pants role' ...that was common back then) ...he/she was this matrix/trinity like character dressed in all white with small glasses.

Entertaining and "creative" ...it made opera really quite fun...... but a bit over the top. The whole plot was a series of excuses to drink some more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home