Flag Etiquette
I am somewhat annoyed by people who don't know and follow proper flag etiquette. Yes, there are a variey of rules, many of which are ignored or unknown by the masses, and yes, I am a purist-patriot when it comes to this, but of all the rules governing the display of the American Flag, the rules of when to fly the flag at half staff should be closely adhered to. Especially with the passing of a President.
According to Title 4, Chapter 1: The Flag; section 7.m, "The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President." With the recent passing of Ronald Reagan, we are now in this 30 day period. ...sooo...today, as I was driving home from work I looked at every flag flying outside. I noticed three which were not at half staff. This upset me...get with it people! I almost stopped and kindly reminded them to lower it, but refrained...for today.
If we had a flagpole I would have stopped whatever I was doing when I heard the news that he died and gone outside and lowered it. But that's just me. ...and now I'm getting off my soapbox.
(5 min. later)...so I'm reading throught all the Flag Rules and Regulations and realizing that there are a LOT that are frequently broken. Humph.
According to Title 4, Chapter 1: The Flag; section 7.m, "The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President." With the recent passing of Ronald Reagan, we are now in this 30 day period. ...sooo...today, as I was driving home from work I looked at every flag flying outside. I noticed three which were not at half staff. This upset me...get with it people! I almost stopped and kindly reminded them to lower it, but refrained...for today.
If we had a flagpole I would have stopped whatever I was doing when I heard the news that he died and gone outside and lowered it. But that's just me. ...and now I'm getting off my soapbox.
(5 min. later)...so I'm reading throught all the Flag Rules and Regulations and realizing that there are a LOT that are frequently broken. Humph.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home