Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Signs

Last year I was the office assistant for Paul Stonehouse, the (then) RD of Hodson. This meant that I was responsible for, among other things, making signs to advertise events. In a guys dorm signs need a balance of....
- eye grabbing, but not artsy
- the utilization of the Cave Man Principle (college age guys don't read....therefore you need to use as few words as possible to say as much as needed, ergo what a neanderthulgic cave man would be able to read without dismissing it as something that's just too difficult or will take too much time)
- good ole creativity

Now sign-making isn't for everyone and I will humbly say that I was pretty decent at it. I had to make signs for unit devos last year too since I was the unit chaplain, which brought even more experience...... such as "How's your Manhood," "Naked Prayer," and the "Vagina Dialogue" ....(yes these were devos folks, which goes to show that even unit chaplains can run with the whole 'sex sells' thing). No, we didn't actually pray naked. ...But it's not everyday that you see the word "vagina" on a sign, which definitely caught people's attention and made them actually read the sign.

Anyway... after all of this, it frustrates me greatly to see bad signs: The "48 point Times New Roman" sign (bolded for special effect) centered on a white piece of paper and not having any pictures/graphics. Guys just won't read it!!!

So now when I see 'bad' signs I just get mad......alas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home