Sunday, May 23, 2004

"We can dance if we want to..."







Here's your evidence folks...over tour I went dancing. (gasp!) Yes, I (and the rest of chorale) spent an evening learning and doing some Scotish dances with the locals...we learned about six or so different dances, and it was an absolute blast!

That night was a complete joy and was a great release for me. Leaving that night I was struck by a couple of things...

From an IWU standpoint, there was nothing sexual at all about that night. We just danced. I can't capture all of my frustrations in this short post, but it's sad how IWU has categorized all social dancing into this bad, offlimits, category. How great would it be to have some sort of cultural dance night like that at school. Maybe I can muster the energy to push that next year since I always need some sort of battle to fight.

On a similarly unfortunate note, it's also sad that America has lost that art - we have no cultural dance. Sure there's some small town square/line dancing going on, but there's nothing that everyone knows and does. In Scotland, I'd guess that almost everyone knew these dances...they each had names and they were just able to jump in from one to the other...it's such a deep part of their culture, and it's something we in America don't have. I wish we did...we're missing out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home