Ode to IM
So this is the final night of my week of IM hiatus. Now that the week is over, I probably should reflect:
My IM use was always just kind of an extra thing in my life...I never really let it run my life. Going through my day I really don't have time to connect with 50 or so people, but I do have time to keep up with what they're up to or whether they have any profound or humorous thoughts by reading their away message. Yes, I have had some good, even deep conversations with people on IM, but a good percentage of its use is just a quick and convenient method to ask someone a question, say a quick hello, see if someone wants to go do something, or maybe just briefly catch up.
Being away from IM was honestly a good break...I'm glad I did it. I did miss it though. Being away kind of just reminded me to appreciate it for the good it brings and be a little more wary of the bad. Use it to enhance relationships, not to replace one on one time.
One good thing about this break was more time spent during my lunch hour out of my room and usually eating in the student center. I might break that lunch-email/newspaper check routine somewhat and continue to eat/talk/study more in the student center.
I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, my mind's need to know things and feel connected to people in an IM way. It's a weird balance...trying to "connect" or (away message) check in on a lot of people, or separate myself from so many and invest in a closer and smaller group. ...hmm....balance... probably one of my biggest battles. ...continuing to grow.
My IM use was always just kind of an extra thing in my life...I never really let it run my life. Going through my day I really don't have time to connect with 50 or so people, but I do have time to keep up with what they're up to or whether they have any profound or humorous thoughts by reading their away message. Yes, I have had some good, even deep conversations with people on IM, but a good percentage of its use is just a quick and convenient method to ask someone a question, say a quick hello, see if someone wants to go do something, or maybe just briefly catch up.
Being away from IM was honestly a good break...I'm glad I did it. I did miss it though. Being away kind of just reminded me to appreciate it for the good it brings and be a little more wary of the bad. Use it to enhance relationships, not to replace one on one time.
One good thing about this break was more time spent during my lunch hour out of my room and usually eating in the student center. I might break that lunch-email/newspaper check routine somewhat and continue to eat/talk/study more in the student center.
I don't know if it's a good or bad thing, my mind's need to know things and feel connected to people in an IM way. It's a weird balance...trying to "connect" or (away message) check in on a lot of people, or separate myself from so many and invest in a closer and smaller group. ...hmm....balance... probably one of my biggest battles. ...continuing to grow.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home