Sunday, August 01, 2004

Extreme Makeover - Home Edition

I watched “Extreme Makeover – Home Edition the other night. I turned the TV on while looking for a distraction during my paper writing and came across it. I absolutely loved it. Maybe it was the family in the episode, but it was such a great concept and such a great story. I know, I know, before you remind me of my “TLC?” post, I will admit that this is essentially a “design show”, but that was completely secondary…the primary focus is the humanitarian aspect of it. The show (which is on ABC, not TLC) seeks out a needy family and completely re-does their home in seven days (which is insane)…and I mean completely. We’re talking a crew of over a hundred taking an entire house from crap to quality. For this house/family the crew went above and beyond and pretty much brightened up an entire neighborhood.

But beyond what the crew did was the person that they did it for. The woman who they helped out in this episode, “Sweet Alice”, was a gracious servant who provided meals for 400+ on holidays…out of her own kitchen, has started “over 15 programs which provide emergency food and shelter for the homeless, conducts health seminars, provides legal and drug counseling, operates a program for unwed mothers, houses battered women and children and prepares young people for the job market and college.” She has loved; and by loving she furthered His Kingdom by improving the lives of so many. It was a blessing to see a great thing happen to a great person.



Alice's family

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home