Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Publix

Oh how I thoroughly enjoy the grocery store. Publix (pronounced "Pub-licks" or, if you're a 15 year old male, "pube-licks") and WinnDixie are the local grocery options. Publix wins, hands down. Publix is much cleaner. The only thing WinnDixie is good for is the fact that I know where their frozen bread dough is. WinnDixie's TV/radio commercials even admit how bad they are as their jingle says "getting better all the time" ...they still have a ways to go.

Anywhoo, I've always been fond of grocery shopping...growing up going usually on Saturday mornings with my mom (and fighting with my sister about who got to push the cart). Now that I have my own apartment I am making much more frequent visits to the store. Though I have my own free meal plan on campus I still eat some things in house (the caf is nothing to write home about) and cook dinner for my staff every once in a while. Going to the grocery store is a good escape from campus...and it kind of nurtures the "I'm at home" kind of feel. Plus I find great enjoyment in the strategery of navigating the aisles without having to cross back...plus there's the bargain shopping element on which I pride myself.

Last night's trip to Publix had one slight element that reminded me that I wasn't (old) home anymore. I was pondering the idea of making banket (Dutch pastery) and was in need of almond paste. I asked one woman where I could find it and she passed off my question to her co-worker behind her, who passed it to two co-workers restocking further down in the aisle. First off, Spanish is the primary language of most of the Publix workers in West Palm Beach. Second off, I think one had ever even heard of almond paste...probably not since I was actually the person to spot the almond paste as she pointed at the almond extract. There were 3 small boxes of almond paste of 7oz each. My recipe called for a pound of almond paste. Didn't add up. Yep, I'm not in Michigan anymore. There I would've been able to find two or three varieties of 1 pound packages of almond paste.

Alas. I still like Publix though.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya--i love u, thats what i'll use the comment for, to tell you how i truly feel bout u :)

3:25 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

OK...Jeff, I read this like five times to make sure I wasn't just a math idiot. But...a pound is 16 ounces. So if the store had three 7-oz. bags, it had a total of 21 ounces--five more than you needed to make your pastry.

Right??

8:43 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

So I've had plans on making some banket this Christmas season after having a taste of your Grandma's at your recital last May (at least I think you said that it was banket). However, I didn't think it was that difficult to find almond paste. I guess I'll keep my eyes open for the stuff.

3:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good grief man! How much banket do you plan to make? 7oz. of paste can make about 4-6 sticks of it!

8:32 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

But the recipe said 1 LB. (which makes 8 sticks)....the point the inconvenience of needing 2 and 2/7 sticks...as well as the limited options of sizes and varieties. I needed to see an abundance of options prominently displayed in the center of the "Dutch" section.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Humph... this whole asking me to explain myself thing... ...seems like an indirect form of editing... minus two points for comments.... MY BLOGS ARE PERFECT!


And what's up with "VGFZQXK" ...that's not a word! Why do the call it a word verification when it's not a word...that's like the eye doctor asking you to read the word on the fourth line of the eye chart.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

oh please.

Get over yourself.

Although, I will admit people are going psycho with your comment option (and I'm one of them). If you had activated them a year ago when they were made available this post probably wouldn't even have a comment on it.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm laughing out loud at this comment thread.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home