Team Hoyt
Remember these guys? ->

It's Dave and Rick Hoyt from the video clip that has been shown in chapels and similiar venues...the one about the handicapped son and the dad that grinds out Ironman Triathlons dragging and pushing his son along ...the one that brought me to tears when I saw it for the first time. The one I connected so strongly with as a (pretend) triathlete who understands just a glimpse more than the average person just how much work goes into such a race.... watching an amazing display of sacrificial love.
Well...today I met them. I went with two other Student Development folk over to City Place to pick up my race packet for Sunday's "Marathon of the Palm Beaches" (except it's the half marathon in my case), and there they were. They were in town to do promo stuff and were actually planning to participate in the race since it was a flat course...the flattest course they would have ever ran. It was great to meet them and great to see in person the smile of that son.
They're not able to compete however as Dad got injured a while ago while trying to compensate for an in training bike accident/break where he strained his leg. This is a similiar fate to myself...I am injured...and therefore not competeing. A week ago I was really not excited about the race as I wasn't in the best of shape. Tuesday night I was playing intramural frisbee and got a nasty contusion/bruise/charlie horse in my thigh. For two days I could barely walk. Today I'm walking normally, but can't run at all as I still can't put that kind of shock pressure on it. So no 13.1 miles for me...I just went to pick up my packet of free stuff (that is, stuff I already paid 40 bucks for when I signed up for the thing in September). But the sad thing is that being there at the packet pick up place, combined with meeting the Hoyts, makes me now WANT to do the run...but I can't. Alas.
At least I got the 'Marathon of the Palm Beaches' wicking t-shirt...(which I won't feel good about wearing because I won't have run it...suck.)

It's Dave and Rick Hoyt from the video clip that has been shown in chapels and similiar venues...the one about the handicapped son and the dad that grinds out Ironman Triathlons dragging and pushing his son along ...the one that brought me to tears when I saw it for the first time. The one I connected so strongly with as a (pretend) triathlete who understands just a glimpse more than the average person just how much work goes into such a race.... watching an amazing display of sacrificial love.
Well...today I met them. I went with two other Student Development folk over to City Place to pick up my race packet for Sunday's "Marathon of the Palm Beaches" (except it's the half marathon in my case), and there they were. They were in town to do promo stuff and were actually planning to participate in the race since it was a flat course...the flattest course they would have ever ran. It was great to meet them and great to see in person the smile of that son.
They're not able to compete however as Dad got injured a while ago while trying to compensate for an in training bike accident/break where he strained his leg. This is a similiar fate to myself...I am injured...and therefore not competeing. A week ago I was really not excited about the race as I wasn't in the best of shape. Tuesday night I was playing intramural frisbee and got a nasty contusion/bruise/charlie horse in my thigh. For two days I could barely walk. Today I'm walking normally, but can't run at all as I still can't put that kind of shock pressure on it. So no 13.1 miles for me...I just went to pick up my packet of free stuff (that is, stuff I already paid 40 bucks for when I signed up for the thing in September). But the sad thing is that being there at the packet pick up place, combined with meeting the Hoyts, makes me now WANT to do the run...but I can't. Alas.
At least I got the 'Marathon of the Palm Beaches' wicking t-shirt...(which I won't feel good about wearing because I won't have run it...suck.)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home