Prostituting the purity
It's fall. I mean...it's "fall" here in Florida. The time when it's 86 every day (rather than 94, which is summer). This is fine and all and yes, I miss the change of seasons...leaves, crispness, apple cider... but my dear Florida friends...you can't create fall here. Some in the student center around the offices upstairs, as well as the decorating people in the cafeteria have decided to create the 'fall effect' by using those classic leaf-like fall season decorations...most of which are using Oak trees, which don't exist here.
Oh how this upsets me. This afternoon I saw them putting up more and I commented to Isis and Jenny (fellow student development people) on how the decorations were "prostituting the purity of the North." Jenny agreed (she's from Maine), and Isis laughed...a lot.
Fall season decorating just doesn't work here. I'm not allowing it. This is the difference between holidays and seasons. Holidays, yes, by all means please decorate...decorate for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, St. Patrick's day...sure. But Florida, don't decorate to try to compensate for and create the seasons that you don't have but deep down wish you did.
Oh how this upsets me. This afternoon I saw them putting up more and I commented to Isis and Jenny (fellow student development people) on how the decorations were "prostituting the purity of the North." Jenny agreed (she's from Maine), and Isis laughed...a lot.
Fall season decorating just doesn't work here. I'm not allowing it. This is the difference between holidays and seasons. Holidays, yes, by all means please decorate...decorate for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, St. Patrick's day...sure. But Florida, don't decorate to try to compensate for and create the seasons that you don't have but deep down wish you did.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home