Wednesday, September 21, 2005

PBA music majors

I have joined choir. Oratorio Chorus to be exact. It's one of the three choirs on campus and has a couple of staff/faculty/community members in it. I wanted to stay involved in music and this was the best and easiest route to do it. We're singing Vaughn Williams' "Hodie" and I like it...a lot.

Anyway, the people are the more interesting thing. On the first day I showed up (after the year had started and they had had a couple of rehearsals) I sat down and we began the rehearsal. As soon as we start the kid sitting next to me leans over and asks me if I know how to read music. "yes, I was a music major" ..."oh...I guess you do then."

The director is good as well. I enjoy him. I had to prepare myself for something 'different' after being so used to the way Chorale was run but this guy is good...uses appropriate humor and also incorporates a lot of theory (I think we've talked about one of the modes everyday), which I appreciate.

The big thing though is being surrounded by a bunch of PBA music majors (most if not all of the people in the choir are). It's quite troubling. Me observing all the stereotypical music major quirks and characterists in a whole new mass of people. Not knowing anyone lets me look at things from the outside and reaffirms prior conclusions. There are some 'exceptions' though...a couple of which live in my buildings...thank goodness for them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home