Friday, November 11, 2005

Oh yeah, Wilma...

Some other random thoughts on hurricanes:
-The day of a hurricane is fun. The week(s) afterwards suck.

-One is enough for me. (ask me again next year though, that may change)

-An urban city completely without power is pretty darn scary at night. Looters...lurking... I was with guys on a balcony on the first night and we saw these 6 story shadows of people walking on the street a quarter mile away. Campus security had to have two people at one of the upperclass reshalls where a lot of sliding glass doors were blown out since people were just waiting to break in.

An urban city completely without power...lets you actually see the stars...which were pretty cool.

-Florida ownership. I realized while driving across the state on the afternoon after the hurricane I have developed an element of pride in my new home state. This based on the way that people were cleaning up right away...people were patient...emergency/government people talking on the radio all knew what they were doing and all had a plan. I felt like a Floridian...as in I was one of many residents who were all in this together.

-If the world ever runs out of gas...suddenly...things are going to be an absolute mess. I don't think we can even imagine. There were no gas shortages here, but the fact that none/few of the stations had power to pump gas created ridiculous lines and played a huge factor in my plans for that week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home