Market
This morning I walked up 10 blocks to the city's farmer's market (which, mind you, only occurs during 'season'). Having grown up in Michigan I am used to such Saturday morning endeavors and had been looking forward to my first floridian one for a good part of the week.
I was expecting this one to be of course different than the one in Holland, MI, of course, since Florida isn't exactly known for mum plants, pumpkins, apples, and more apples. What I got took me a bit off guard. I was expecting citrus especially, but found little to none of that. There were only two produce oriented booths. The rest were all very random, including a few with some very exotic plants (one of which was manned by a man in purple pants, a pink shirt, and a leopard print apron), some assorted (and presumably very rare/fine) nuts from around the world, and then there was the organic dog biscuit booth, since no such market is complete without one of those.
Definitely an adjustment, but a market, wherever it is, still makes a good start to any November Saturday. I made it out with a pound of green beans, and a loaf of bread which, according to the guy who sold it to me, "is the kind of bread that butter was made for". (It was pretty good).
I think I'll be back next week.
I was expecting this one to be of course different than the one in Holland, MI, of course, since Florida isn't exactly known for mum plants, pumpkins, apples, and more apples. What I got took me a bit off guard. I was expecting citrus especially, but found little to none of that. There were only two produce oriented booths. The rest were all very random, including a few with some very exotic plants (one of which was manned by a man in purple pants, a pink shirt, and a leopard print apron), some assorted (and presumably very rare/fine) nuts from around the world, and then there was the organic dog biscuit booth, since no such market is complete without one of those.
Definitely an adjustment, but a market, wherever it is, still makes a good start to any November Saturday. I made it out with a pound of green beans, and a loaf of bread which, according to the guy who sold it to me, "is the kind of bread that butter was made for". (It was pretty good).
I think I'll be back next week.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home