I've got chops
So, big news: I'm starting grad school in January. At Florida Atlantic University (FAU), which is in Boca Raton - a lovely 30 min drive South without traffic (which is rare). What in you ask - Choral Conducting. It's actually a Master of Arts in Music with an emphasis in Choral Conducting.
Two more mini hoops and then grad school here I come. (ick...homework?)
Yeehaah.
I really don't feel like typing all the whys and hows that led up to the decision to do this pursuit (as opposed to student development)...and why to start now. Basically, I'm starting with two night classes next spring and will be doing that on the side of RD'ing for a likely two more years. So, assuming things go as they should, I'll be in West Palm until the summer of 09.
Back to the story. Today I went to campus to audition. I had to conduct the women's chorus on two pieces...one they knew and one they were sight reading. It went well...not too much pressure. Then I went to sing for and speak with my future advisor/conducting professor. ...at the conclusion of which she said "yeah...you've got chops" ...referencing my conducting ability ...and went on to elaborate... basically...'welcome to the program'. Chops, eh...I kinda like the descriptor.
Yeah...I've got chops. (...bow hunting chops...numchuck chops... chicks dig guys who have chops).
Two more mini hoops and then grad school here I come. (ick...homework?)
Yeehaah.
I really don't feel like typing all the whys and hows that led up to the decision to do this pursuit (as opposed to student development)...and why to start now. Basically, I'm starting with two night classes next spring and will be doing that on the side of RD'ing for a likely two more years. So, assuming things go as they should, I'll be in West Palm until the summer of 09.
Back to the story. Today I went to campus to audition. I had to conduct the women's chorus on two pieces...one they knew and one they were sight reading. It went well...not too much pressure. Then I went to sing for and speak with my future advisor/conducting professor. ...at the conclusion of which she said "yeah...you've got chops" ...referencing my conducting ability ...and went on to elaborate... basically...'welcome to the program'. Chops, eh...I kinda like the descriptor.
Yeah...I've got chops. (...bow hunting chops...numchuck chops... chicks dig guys who have chops).

3 Comments:
Whoa...you hated that movie. I know this because you sat next to me when we watched it for the first time.
Chops? Interesting...I've heard that as a descriptor for instrumentalists but nothing else.
2009....hmmm....looks like there's plenty o' more opportunities to crash at your place. Ironically, I'll be out of school and you'll be in school...I like that idea. It'll be a nice change of pace.
PS - Dr. Lawrence Crabbe a famous Christian/Psychology Integrationist and proponent of the Biblical Counseling movement had a teaching stint at FAU before he left to teach at Colorado Christian Univerisity.
Today's needless fact of the day brought to you by Dr. Puffer's Integration of Christianity and Psychology class and the word verification "tdsgtee".
yay for grad school!
Post a Comment
<< Home