America's Football Night
Dear NBC,
You and your crew are prostituting the purity...of the Olympics. I know you and NBC are oh so proud about acquiring SUNDAY night football from ESPN this year, but I'm afraid you've taken some extra liberties with the night. In an attempt to 'brand' the event you've deemed it "America's Foorball Night," which is a bit too much...as if you're trying to make people feel like bad Americans if they don't watch.
And on top of that you've recruited Bob Costas, the voice of the Olympics for the past 12 years or so, to be the studio host for pre/halftime/post shows.
AND...as if that wasn't enough... you've added this brass theme gimic, which sounds like it was written by a John Williams wannabe, and of course creates the allusion to the actual Olympic themes.
NBC, you have gone too far. Your weekly football game is NOT that special. The Olympics are a special thing, and must retain their sacredness. I know that you are the network that hosts the Olympics, but you're actually cheating yourselves in the long run by cheapening things. For when the Beijing Olympics come around in 2008, it will just be another average TV night with Bob Costas and the Boston Pops.
You and your crew are prostituting the purity...of the Olympics. I know you and NBC are oh so proud about acquiring SUNDAY night football from ESPN this year, but I'm afraid you've taken some extra liberties with the night. In an attempt to 'brand' the event you've deemed it "America's Foorball Night," which is a bit too much...as if you're trying to make people feel like bad Americans if they don't watch.
And on top of that you've recruited Bob Costas, the voice of the Olympics for the past 12 years or so, to be the studio host for pre/halftime/post shows.
AND...as if that wasn't enough... you've added this brass theme gimic, which sounds like it was written by a John Williams wannabe, and of course creates the allusion to the actual Olympic themes.
NBC, you have gone too far. Your weekly football game is NOT that special. The Olympics are a special thing, and must retain their sacredness. I know that you are the network that hosts the Olympics, but you're actually cheating yourselves in the long run by cheapening things. For when the Beijing Olympics come around in 2008, it will just be another average TV night with Bob Costas and the Boston Pops.

2 Comments:
Thank you for writing a blog tonight. It's a bit of what I needed at the moment.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who still loves the Olympics.
Post a Comment
<< Home