It's not Holland!
Ok people, America, World...get it right! Don't refer to the country that lies North of Belgium as "Holland"...the country is the Netherlands! I'm noticing this too much lately...I heard a Pepsi radio commercial that did it wrong today and hence this post.
When you say, "I'm from Holland" (isn't that veird?!....yes Austin Powers did it wrong too)....you're saying "I'm from either Noord-Holland or Zuid-Holland, two PROVINCES in the Netherlands." The media is especially bad at getting this wrong. There could be a Dutchman from the province of Overijssel...he would be from the Netherlands, but NOT from Holland. It's offensive to people from Drenthe or Groningen etc. (other provinces) to have their country referred to as Holland.
Spit out the extra two syllables and get it right!! IT'S THE NETHERLANDS!!!
When you say, "I'm from Holland" (isn't that veird?!....yes Austin Powers did it wrong too)....you're saying "I'm from either Noord-Holland or Zuid-Holland, two PROVINCES in the Netherlands." The media is especially bad at getting this wrong. There could be a Dutchman from the province of Overijssel...he would be from the Netherlands, but NOT from Holland. It's offensive to people from Drenthe or Groningen etc. (other provinces) to have their country referred to as Holland.
Spit out the extra two syllables and get it right!! IT'S THE NETHERLANDS!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home