Friday, December 26, 2003

So this is Christmas

some random Christmas reflections:

Sitting- It was funny to watch how people sat down to eat for dinner at large family parties. Despite the fact that we're all (extended family members, some who we don't see that often) coming together, everyone usually sits with their own, close family. At one party with my great aunts and uncles (7 brothers and sisters) we see each other only at this party every year. This year before dinner, a couple people started putting their stuff down for where they were going to sit (round tables)....next thing you know EVERYONE scrambles to find a seat...with their own family group. No announcement made to sit...food wasn't even ready for another 15 minutes. Granted, everyone under 30 knows about half of everyones names, but that's all our own fault. With this group its kind of the awkward transition point where one brother/sister group is getting too old that it's becoming too much of a reunion.

Hallelujah Chorus - I conducted the church walk up choir at the end of the service this morning to sing the Hallelujah Chorus (for the second year (of many hopefully)). Great anthem....and a good day and place to sing it.

Classic lines today opening presents with our family:
- Mom - "You can return it...I'm used to it"
- Dad - "I'll give it a try"
- Mom - "Well there's always the back-up"
....see, my Mom is in the habit of buying back-up gifts whenever she gets clothes for one of the three of us at Christmas. If she gets me a sweater, she'll have two other options in their room in case I don't like it. This, I suppose, is kinda nice. Still some surprise, but I can choose....returns don't bother her. She understands that her eye for fashion isn't quite the same as mine/ours.

Sickness - my Dad's had the flu (fever, aches, ok stomach) for the past five days. This has wiped him out. He hasn't taken two days off of work in years....he's not one to just sit down. So he hasn't been able to do any party/church things all week, which is frustrating him understandably. And it makes takes some family time out of Christmas for the rest of us.

I'll probably think of some more, but that's enough for now.
I had a good day, and hope you did as well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home