No, I didn't steal a book
Today I spent about three hours at Van Wylen Library on Hope College's campus. Among other things, I wanted to look at September's issue of 'Educational Leadership' ...I was told that they had already, after just four months, put it on microfiche....something I had never used before, yet alone heard of. So someone showed me where and how and I sat and looked at an entire journal on a 4x5 plastic card...through a machine.
I wanted to check a book out, but was told that I couldn't by the student worker, who got a second opinion from her supervisor. I explained that I was a student from another university, but unfortunately I would still have to pay 10 bucks to get a card. So, I walked upstairs and put the book back since I will probably go back tomorrow and wanted to be sure that I would be able to find it. I then walked downstairs and out the door. I stopped between the doors to put on my fleece and saw the head librarian lady grab a book and walk through the alarm gates. The buzzer went off, and she returned to her post. I then realized that she was making sure that the alarm was working! i.e. she though I had put the book in my backpack and walked out with it. I of course didn't and didn't set the alarm off since I didn't have a book with me, but she had to test it....while I was still standing there! The nerve.
I wanted to check a book out, but was told that I couldn't by the student worker, who got a second opinion from her supervisor. I explained that I was a student from another university, but unfortunately I would still have to pay 10 bucks to get a card. So, I walked upstairs and put the book back since I will probably go back tomorrow and wanted to be sure that I would be able to find it. I then walked downstairs and out the door. I stopped between the doors to put on my fleece and saw the head librarian lady grab a book and walk through the alarm gates. The buzzer went off, and she returned to her post. I then realized that she was making sure that the alarm was working! i.e. she though I had put the book in my backpack and walked out with it. I of course didn't and didn't set the alarm off since I didn't have a book with me, but she had to test it....while I was still standing there! The nerve.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home