God's Classroom
I just returned from a weekend away with the RAs. We went to a house/cabin down in Brown County IN. It was nice to spend time with eachother and relax... poker, cooking, sleeping in, and starting and ending each day with a long sit in the hot tub...now that's a weekend.
Anyway, this part of Indiana is actually quite hilly. Yesterday we we went walking down the path and headed down toward the pond. Ryan fished for a while while the rest of us went on a rowboat. Then we started to wander around. A couple of us followed the path further down and then followed the creekbed back up. Later (while some of the guys were having fun swinging and banging into trees on a long vine), Ryan and I walked around to the other side of the pond, where I found the skull and antlers of a deer, which I picked up and took back with me.
My point in all of this is how much I appreciated just being able to walk around and explore. There's something about seeing a tree decomposing and dig through it, picking apart the slate in a creek and looking for aquatic life, or finding a skull and antlers and the bones all around it to lead you to think that the deer was dragged by something. It made me want to do/learn more, and, being an education person, made me wonder why so much of my middle and high school science experiences were spent inside. I guess I was reminded this weekend how much there is to do, see, and learn in GOD'S classroom.
Anyway, this part of Indiana is actually quite hilly. Yesterday we we went walking down the path and headed down toward the pond. Ryan fished for a while while the rest of us went on a rowboat. Then we started to wander around. A couple of us followed the path further down and then followed the creekbed back up. Later (while some of the guys were having fun swinging and banging into trees on a long vine), Ryan and I walked around to the other side of the pond, where I found the skull and antlers of a deer, which I picked up and took back with me.
My point in all of this is how much I appreciated just being able to walk around and explore. There's something about seeing a tree decomposing and dig through it, picking apart the slate in a creek and looking for aquatic life, or finding a skull and antlers and the bones all around it to lead you to think that the deer was dragged by something. It made me want to do/learn more, and, being an education person, made me wonder why so much of my middle and high school science experiences were spent inside. I guess I was reminded this weekend how much there is to do, see, and learn in GOD'S classroom.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home