Superstar Seniors - The Music Major
Each year the Grand Rapids Press recognizes 100 or so "Superstar Seniors" from all the area high schools (2-3 from each school). On a Sunday, a section of the paper is made of the bios, plans, and a picture of each of them. Yesterday I read through it, and this is what I found:

This dear friends, is the one and only Music Education major in the bunch. This is a classic example of what too many people think of when they think of "music major". This is the label that I desperately seek to avoid.
At school there's those who fall in to the category...I'm sure you're thinking of a couple right now. They are always walking, talking, and eating in that back corner east of Applebees...with other music majors, and only music majors (I'm sure this kid would head to that corner if he went to IWU).
But not all music majors! There are those of us who call ourselves "exceptions"...I've had this conversation with a couple of them. I try to be as 'socially well rounded' as I can. I avoid the PAC when at all possible, and I rarely sit in the music major corner. ...I run from everything what the phrase "music major" combined with this picture implies.
Don't get me wrong, the music majors I know are (mostly) great people and I'm friends with a bunch of them. (And I'm sure that this kid is a really nice guy too). I'm sure they're happy being surrounded by friends who share the same love as they do.
I hope this is coming across well and I'm not sounding judgmental. It's just that the classic music major mold is not for me.

This dear friends, is the one and only Music Education major in the bunch. This is a classic example of what too many people think of when they think of "music major". This is the label that I desperately seek to avoid.
At school there's those who fall in to the category...I'm sure you're thinking of a couple right now. They are always walking, talking, and eating in that back corner east of Applebees...with other music majors, and only music majors (I'm sure this kid would head to that corner if he went to IWU).
But not all music majors! There are those of us who call ourselves "exceptions"...I've had this conversation with a couple of them. I try to be as 'socially well rounded' as I can. I avoid the PAC when at all possible, and I rarely sit in the music major corner. ...I run from everything what the phrase "music major" combined with this picture implies.
Don't get me wrong, the music majors I know are (mostly) great people and I'm friends with a bunch of them. (And I'm sure that this kid is a really nice guy too). I'm sure they're happy being surrounded by friends who share the same love as they do.
I hope this is coming across well and I'm not sounding judgmental. It's just that the classic music major mold is not for me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home