Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Removing my log

While driving this afternoon to my last exam/class of my summer class I was flipping through my radio presets (which I tend to do often...I can't listen to one for more that 10 minutes). I landed on the top 40/pop station. Hearing a song I liked and actually listening intentently to the words (which are often VERY difficult to make out for some of those songs), some questions arose:
-Why do I like this song?
-Should I like this song?
-Can I like this song muscically and not lyrically?
-If I do like it musically is the good music "redeeming enough" to warrant me listening to it.
-Is listening to it "just for entertainment", like I have been, ok?
-Why do I have my guard up when it comes to movies, but not to music? (ans: mama IWU most likely)

I realized I was guilty and could have had the same redeemable movie conversation as yesterday with myself in regard to music. I really am not an advocate of drawing 'sacred' and 'secular' lines....but what should guide it. I basically got my mind a'spinning again and need to dialogue through it. But oh wait....I'm not around people who I can talk it through with...I need my IWU peers!!! 12 days and counting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home