Thursday, May 12, 2005

Trail Name

Well, the library refreshed my online minutes, so here I am again.

On the trail, everyone you meet (well, almost) who is hiking has a trail name. We've met French Bob, Beer Poet, Trail Dale, Free Bird, Healer, Rhino (from the netherlands!), Highlander, and many others. A trail name is pretty much standard. And I needed one.

So, after some pondering and dialogue, I now introduce myself on the trail as Orange Slice. This, in honor of our official Hodson staff drink. The 'orange' is also important in my Dutch heritage, which I of course talked with Rhino about when trying to come up with a name. While hiking though, I realized that I was placing the emphasis on Slice, whereas someone reading 'orange slice' on a trail sign-in log could put the emphasis on orange, which adds another meaning (as in a piece of the fruit). While snacking the same day I came up with the name, I realized I ironicly had the candy orange slices in my pack, which I had bought the day before and forgotten about. ...so it was perfect.... I am now Orange Slice, with the Hodson drink emphasis on the word Slice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home