Yell English
Tonight I was working in the comp lab in the PAC and overheard a conversation between random student and the guitar prof Ner Rojas. Rojas is Spanish (I think) and his English is rather difficult to understand. I've been in the office before and he was talking to Sharon about something. After he left, Sharon looked over at me and said, "sometimes you've just gotta pretend like you know what he's saying." Anyway, tonight, after about two lines with him, I noticed that the girl he was talking to slowed way down what she was saying and started talking loud. Really loud.
I and the other girl in the lab started cracking up. But then I remembered that I had done the same thing this weekend when talking to Nazomi about borrowing one of her movies. I caught myself right in the middle of talking with her that I had unconsciously brought my language down to the 6th grade level.
Why?! Why do we do this? Rojas and Nazomi are around English all the time...I'm sure they're used to it. They don't need us to slow down (I don't think??)...but we go ahead and do it anyway. ...ugh.
I and the other girl in the lab started cracking up. But then I remembered that I had done the same thing this weekend when talking to Nazomi about borrowing one of her movies. I caught myself right in the middle of talking with her that I had unconsciously brought my language down to the 6th grade level.
Why?! Why do we do this? Rojas and Nazomi are around English all the time...I'm sure they're used to it. They don't need us to slow down (I don't think??)...but we go ahead and do it anyway. ...ugh.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home