Monday, December 20, 2004

Maroon Platoon

Saturday I went with my family to a Holland Christian basketball game, my first since graduating. ...it was mostly becuase I didn't have anything else to do and because I wanted to be somewhat more intentional with doing things with my parents. My parents had reserved seats and I didn't have anyone to exactly sit with, so my plan was to stand in one of the corners (The teacher/coach in me likes to do that anyway). I did that for a while and then later joined my parents when I realized the people next to them didn't show up.

I surprised myself a bit by actually getting into the game. Well, I always get into the games, I just don't always express it. I actually clapped and yelled a little...in the fourth quarter. What I enjoyed the most though was the student section, the Maroon Platoon. (We are the "maroons" (like IWU is the wildcats)) Students in all maroon platoon shirts, some with camo pants on, doing cheers. They did all the leading of them to, since they (thankfully) got rid of the stupid version of cheerleaders and made them compeditive cheer only, so they don't go to games.

I was jealous that we hadn't thought of that while I was there. And it made me wish that going to basketball games and sitting/cheering in the student section was "cool" at IWU. ....but then the game ended, we left, and I didn't really care much anymore. The scotsmen are going to the Taylor game though in February. Maybe that'll get something started... or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home