Stalker Parenting
I watched "Cheaper by the Dozen" last night with the parents and Jon. As one might expect, it got me thinking about family size. I like chaos. Nothing against my family, but after growing up with four of us, I enjoy being around the dynamic of larger families. Twelve, however, would be way too much. Yes, it'd be wild and exciting, but there's that element of being able to 'invest' in all of them to the extent that they would need/deserve. I think it could have worked dozens of years ago, but with the way culture has gone with people becoming so involved in extracurriculars and just living busier lives, there's no way any super parent could manage/balance everything.
Growing up in a family with two kids, one of the things that I really appreciate about my parents was that they wanted to go to everything that I was involved in, were able to, and did. They rarely missed a swim meet (home or away), running/xc meet, or choir/other vocal stuff concert in all my years. Even now, they've been nicknamed by someone as the "chorale stalker parents" because they've driven 2-3 hours about four times this semester to see chorale sing while they were out in Michigan and Indiana. They're like this with my sister as well. Looking back I appreciate this immensely, and want to be able to do the same.
Two won't do for me...I'll want to be a stalker parent to more than that. But, as crazy, wild, and wonderfully chaotic as 12 (11,10,9,8...?) kids might be, it wouldn't work... I'd have to hire a real stalker.
Growing up in a family with two kids, one of the things that I really appreciate about my parents was that they wanted to go to everything that I was involved in, were able to, and did. They rarely missed a swim meet (home or away), running/xc meet, or choir/other vocal stuff concert in all my years. Even now, they've been nicknamed by someone as the "chorale stalker parents" because they've driven 2-3 hours about four times this semester to see chorale sing while they were out in Michigan and Indiana. They're like this with my sister as well. Looking back I appreciate this immensely, and want to be able to do the same.
Two won't do for me...I'll want to be a stalker parent to more than that. But, as crazy, wild, and wonderfully chaotic as 12 (11,10,9,8...?) kids might be, it wouldn't work... I'd have to hire a real stalker.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home