Lifeguard on duty
That’s the title of one of my favorite SNL skits and also how I feel, or at least pretend to feel at times. Yesterday I was sitting on the deck looking out at the lake. I saw some neighbors across the way who were swimming out a ways from shore. Suddenly my mind goes into “what if” lifeguard mode. Here’s a basic rundown of what my mind was hypothetically pondering:
Guy starts drowning. The two around him aren’t great swimmers and don’t know what to do. Jeff jumps into action…I yell at my Dad to grab 3 water logs (“noodles” to some) from beneath the deck and have them ready for me. While running upstairs, stripping my shorts as I go, I yell for my mom to call 911. Upstairs I throw on a speedo (board shorts are waaay to cumbersome for such rescues as this) and grab my Sveds (swimmers’ goggles…they don’t have any padding). I run downstairs and out the door, grabbing the water logs (which are acting as a fill-in floatation device). I sprint over to the lake, dive in, swim over, dive down, pull up the kid, swim him over to shore, resuscitate, and go back, happy to have finally used the whole lifeguard certification thing.
I dream of things like this rather often. Last summer during RA training we were at Ketcham Woods doing a midnight prayer service. One staff was going up and praying for another staff. You really couldn’t hear what was going on unless you happened to be one of the staffs praying at the moment. During the “down time” I was pondering what I would do if an airliner crashed into Ketcham Woods. I was so ready that if it would have happened I would have started organizing people before the thing even hit the ground. …medical areas, people to direct the rescue personal, people to run and try and save some people. Maybe it’ll happen in two weeks when we’re doing it again? Not that I’d want it to, but…ya know.
Guy starts drowning. The two around him aren’t great swimmers and don’t know what to do. Jeff jumps into action…I yell at my Dad to grab 3 water logs (“noodles” to some) from beneath the deck and have them ready for me. While running upstairs, stripping my shorts as I go, I yell for my mom to call 911. Upstairs I throw on a speedo (board shorts are waaay to cumbersome for such rescues as this) and grab my Sveds (swimmers’ goggles…they don’t have any padding). I run downstairs and out the door, grabbing the water logs (which are acting as a fill-in floatation device). I sprint over to the lake, dive in, swim over, dive down, pull up the kid, swim him over to shore, resuscitate, and go back, happy to have finally used the whole lifeguard certification thing.
I dream of things like this rather often. Last summer during RA training we were at Ketcham Woods doing a midnight prayer service. One staff was going up and praying for another staff. You really couldn’t hear what was going on unless you happened to be one of the staffs praying at the moment. During the “down time” I was pondering what I would do if an airliner crashed into Ketcham Woods. I was so ready that if it would have happened I would have started organizing people before the thing even hit the ground. …medical areas, people to direct the rescue personal, people to run and try and save some people. Maybe it’ll happen in two weeks when we’re doing it again? Not that I’d want it to, but…ya know.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home