What I’ve read this summer
This isn’t my normal blogging style, but I suppose reading has been a significant enough part of my summer. So, here’s my list and some subsequent comments and links:
Endurance - Shackleton's Incredible Voyage – Alfred Lansing – The true story of a trans-Antarctic expedition gone wrong. Twenty-some men survive extreme, extreme conditions for in the cold for over a year.
Of Mice and Men – Steinbeck – one of the classics
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Adams – Sci-fi humor of sorts…very amusing and witty…I enjoyed it. I may read the others in the series later in life. A good “I don’t want to think very hard” book.
Life of Pi – Martel – I think it’s on a best seller list, or was recently at least. It was a decent book and all, but I wouldn’t call it a best seller. It kind of dragged.
Vernon God Little – Pierre – probably my most intriguing read of the summer this (also best seller?) book was very vulgar, year old mouthy, dirty, 15-year old world. Vernon is accused of being a part of a Columbine like incident at his high school and becomes the target of his entire town. The first 2/3 was an endurance read for me, but I enjoyed the way it turned out. I’d recommend it if you don’t mind leaving the bubble. (let me know if you read it…I’d like to dialogue)
Various short stories by Ray Bradbury – including The Murderer which was the story of a guy who started “murdering” his appliances and stuff, frustrated with technology. Dan (Ankney) had read it and though of my and then recommended it. I loved his stories. I hadn’t read short stories in a long time. These had some great twists. The reminded me of the TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents when he did a half hour show of 5-10 minute shorts each week. Read a couple if you get the chance.
As far as the eye can see – Brill – About a guy hiking the Appalachian Trail
Hiking and Backpacking – Berger – General info
On the Christian Faith – John Calvin – excepts from his Institutes…interesting stuff if you want to explore Calvinism. I liked…but I don’t want to talk about it.
The Fall – Camus – Another “classic” I think. Set in Amsterdam (which no, I did not know before starting it). Thankfully short, it probably had some profound insights that I didn’t have the time or energy to extract.
A Separate Peace – Knowles – read a post on Jon’s blog for comments on this one
Adventures in Missing the Point "How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel– McClaren, Campolo – Our Hodson staff summer reading book. Some sections were good, others weren’t. Should be good for discussion at least.
The Greatest Thing in the World and other addresses – Henry Drummond – very thought provoking stuff. (moral) theology, Christian living, virtues, etc. I could write a lot here but I’ll spare you. Read it here if you’d like.
Endurance - Shackleton's Incredible Voyage – Alfred Lansing – The true story of a trans-Antarctic expedition gone wrong. Twenty-some men survive extreme, extreme conditions for in the cold for over a year.
Of Mice and Men – Steinbeck – one of the classics
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Adams – Sci-fi humor of sorts…very amusing and witty…I enjoyed it. I may read the others in the series later in life. A good “I don’t want to think very hard” book.
Life of Pi – Martel – I think it’s on a best seller list, or was recently at least. It was a decent book and all, but I wouldn’t call it a best seller. It kind of dragged.
Vernon God Little – Pierre – probably my most intriguing read of the summer this (also best seller?) book was very vulgar, year old mouthy, dirty, 15-year old world. Vernon is accused of being a part of a Columbine like incident at his high school and becomes the target of his entire town. The first 2/3 was an endurance read for me, but I enjoyed the way it turned out. I’d recommend it if you don’t mind leaving the bubble. (let me know if you read it…I’d like to dialogue)
Various short stories by Ray Bradbury – including The Murderer which was the story of a guy who started “murdering” his appliances and stuff, frustrated with technology. Dan (Ankney) had read it and though of my and then recommended it. I loved his stories. I hadn’t read short stories in a long time. These had some great twists. The reminded me of the TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents when he did a half hour show of 5-10 minute shorts each week. Read a couple if you get the chance.
As far as the eye can see – Brill – About a guy hiking the Appalachian Trail
Hiking and Backpacking – Berger – General info
On the Christian Faith – John Calvin – excepts from his Institutes…interesting stuff if you want to explore Calvinism. I liked…but I don’t want to talk about it.
The Fall – Camus – Another “classic” I think. Set in Amsterdam (which no, I did not know before starting it). Thankfully short, it probably had some profound insights that I didn’t have the time or energy to extract.
A Separate Peace – Knowles – read a post on Jon’s blog for comments on this one
Adventures in Missing the Point "How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel– McClaren, Campolo – Our Hodson staff summer reading book. Some sections were good, others weren’t. Should be good for discussion at least.
The Greatest Thing in the World and other addresses – Henry Drummond – very thought provoking stuff. (moral) theology, Christian living, virtues, etc. I could write a lot here but I’ll spare you. Read it here if you’d like.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home