Thursday, November 25, 2004

MACY'S

Governed by tradition, today, as usual on Thanksgiving Day, I returned home from church and turned on the tv in anticipation of the Lions game. I (as usual) of course was way early and instead caught a few minutes (as usual) of the MACY'S LipSync Parade.

Seriously...when did we become satisfied with this? When did we adopt an "as long as it sounds good and looks cool, it doesn't really matter if it's real or not" mentality? Whatever happened to "LIVE!"? In my usual impatience, I was only able to stand watching about 5-10 minutes of the parade, but did happen to catch the only possible exception to my frustration... the float with the Sesame Street characters on it..."singing".

But while I'm on it, since when did parades become made-for-tv-traveling-musicals?! Sure there are the bands for which this is normal, but why do we need floats full of has-been performers or desperate-and-trying-not-to-die groups or broadway musical companys who all come to a complete stop for the camera, and perform a two minute lip sync ditty?! I don't want a Broadway review...I want a parade! Let the bands play the music!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home