Santa hats
I'm pretty much not a fan of them...at all. At this time of year you see numbers of these in all sorts of places. Some are appropriate, some are not.
Appropriate times:
-when wearing an entire Santa suit, acting as Santa
-when acting as 'the Santa' at a Christmas party, that being the person who walks around the room and passes out the presents to everyone sitting around the circle
-when dressing up for some SPECIFIC and planned festive event, such as Boxer Caroling
Inappropriate times (this one's pretty simple):
-all other times
This would include 'having fun at the office', being in a church, and school/classes/campus. Yes, I'm being rather bah humbug, but there's something about the 'wear a Santa hat all day long' idea that completely annoys me. I really can't describe why. It always seems to be 'that guy' who does it, and I really don't think I need to explain who 'that guy' is...you all know what I'm talking about. It's nothing really against these people...it's just...the Santa hat. And especially the special edition Santa hats, like the ones with Goofy ears, which I saw today, worn by one of 'those guys'.
I was thinking of this all earlier today and planning to post it all, until dinner time, when I hesitated in my mind. This because my faithful reader and RA John Michael was walking down the sidewalk in his elf hat, which fits into the same deal. ...but I'm posting it anyway. John Michael, I love you dearly and think no less of you for wearing an elf hat down the sidewalk and wholeheartedly admire the beat to which you march...it's just one of my things.
And now, given this extraordinary comment option, you John Michael have the opportunity explain why I should in fact embrace the spirit of Santa's workshop. Begin.
Appropriate times:
-when wearing an entire Santa suit, acting as Santa
-when acting as 'the Santa' at a Christmas party, that being the person who walks around the room and passes out the presents to everyone sitting around the circle
-when dressing up for some SPECIFIC and planned festive event, such as Boxer Caroling
Inappropriate times (this one's pretty simple):
-all other times
This would include 'having fun at the office', being in a church, and school/classes/campus. Yes, I'm being rather bah humbug, but there's something about the 'wear a Santa hat all day long' idea that completely annoys me. I really can't describe why. It always seems to be 'that guy' who does it, and I really don't think I need to explain who 'that guy' is...you all know what I'm talking about. It's nothing really against these people...it's just...the Santa hat. And especially the special edition Santa hats, like the ones with Goofy ears, which I saw today, worn by one of 'those guys'.
I was thinking of this all earlier today and planning to post it all, until dinner time, when I hesitated in my mind. This because my faithful reader and RA John Michael was walking down the sidewalk in his elf hat, which fits into the same deal. ...but I'm posting it anyway. John Michael, I love you dearly and think no less of you for wearing an elf hat down the sidewalk and wholeheartedly admire the beat to which you march...it's just one of my things.
And now, given this extraordinary comment option, you John Michael have the opportunity explain why I should in fact embrace the spirit of Santa's workshop. Begin.

5 Comments:
Jeff...this is a sad defense of my side of the argument, but Santa hats are way cute! Sometimes, when I see a person wearing a santa hat, it brings a smile to my face and joy to my heart. Then, due to my high spirits, I might do something nice for someone, who in turn may do something nice for someone else, and you get the picture. Imagine the Christmas cheer one simple santa hat can spread!
The ones with ears are pretty ugly though.
Hope you are having a great week!
Merry Christmas...even though you are a bah humbug. :o)
What about people who ring the bells for the Salvation Army donations outside of Wal-Mart and the mall? Are they allowed no symbol of holiday spirit?
And in defense of elf hats (yes, with ears):Sometimes being "that guy" to the Scrooges is worth the cheer you feel and share with fellow high-spirited folk.
Besides, Wearing a Santa hat or any other hokey Christmas accessory makes people feel a part of something bigger than themselves. I, as a person, can contribute to the joy of the season with something as simple as a stupid, ugly hat.
First, just seeing the word 'cute' on here got me to the settings page, one click away from eliminating comments...which still may likely happen, I just need to type/process through it.
Yes, I can conceed the Salvation Army bell ringers.
Jon will tell me that I'm being weak here...but the world does need 'those guys'. Perhaps I've slowly become more and more bitter...in high school the guy who wore the Santa hat through December was awesome. My holiday joy...in the fun/santa/'yeah red and green' sense, is lacking of late. I must need a girlfriend.
i'm against the santa hats.
really, i'm not into seasonal things or holiday decor. it annoys me to have to unpack and put up stuff that is only going to be there for maybe a month before i have to take it all down and pack it back up and find somewhere to store it for 11 months out of the year.
my current roommate wore a santa hat to wait tables last night. it had bells on it. major no.
Suzin, I bet you're against Christmas music too.
We can't be friends any longer.
Remember, I'm the guy who wants to die in December so the funeral home will be decorated with holiday cheer.
Post a Comment
<< Home