Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Watered Directions

As someone who prides myself on my navigational skills, this is slightly embarrasing...but not really. As someone who appreciates psychology, this intrigues me.

Tonight I was getting directions over the phone from my summer boss to where they're working at so I could stop in and say hello tomorrow. "Going south on M-40, turn east on Imperial...when you get to 52nd, turn right...so you'll be going south again." At that point my Rand McNally alarm went off...I was confused. As it turns out, I soon realized that when I turned "east" in my head, I actually turned west. The problem: water. For all of my life, water=west...sunset, Lake Michigan...WEST. For the past six months however, I have completely readjusted so that now water=EAST...sunrise, Atlantic Ocean...east. Especially living so close to the water in Florida, that directional element plays an even greater role there...and now...back to Michigan...much confusion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home